US charges former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over 1996 plane attack

APMediaGH
3 Views
2 Min Read
Raúl Castro

The United States has charged former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 shooting down of two planes belonging to the Cuban-American group Brothers to the Rescue.

The charges, originally filed in 2003 and revived on Wednesday, accuse Castro and five others of conspiracy to kill US nationals, destruction of aircraft, and murder.

The attack led to the deaths of four people, including three Americans identified as Armando Alejandre Jr, Carlos Alberto Costa, Mario Manuel de la Peña, and Pablo Morales.

At the time of the incident, Castro was head of Cuba’s armed forces and faced international criticism over the downing of the planes between Cuba and Florida.

Ad imageAd image

Speaking in Miami, Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the renewed charges and said an arrest warrant had been issued for Castro.

“The United States, and President Trump, does not, and will not, forget its citizens,” Blanche said.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel dismissed the charges, describing them as “a political manoeuvre” without legal basis.

He accused the US of distorting the facts surrounding the incident and claimed Cuba acted in self-defence within its territorial waters.

The indictment comes amid growing tensions between the US and Cuba, as the administration of Donald Trump increases pressure on Cuba’s communist government through sanctions and other measures.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also criticised Cuba’s military-run conglomerate GAESA, accusing it of contributing to the country’s economic hardships, including blackouts and food shortages.

Meanwhile, Cuban-American groups in Miami welcomed the renewed charges, describing them as long-overdue justice for the victims and their families.

Castro, now 94, remains an influential figure in Cuba despite stepping away from active government roles after serving as president from 2008 to 2018.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment