Ghana has not recorded any case of Ebola, Minister of Health Kwabena Mintah Akandoh has assured Ghanaians following recent concerns over the disease.
Addressing the nation on Thursday, May 21, 2026, the minister said the Ministry of Health had already issued two public notices on Ebola after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the disease a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
He explained that Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with infected blood, body fluids, secretions, or contaminated surfaces and materials.
Akandoh urged the public to remain alert and report to the nearest health facility if they experience symptoms linked to the disease.
“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” he said.
The minister, however, stressed that no Ebola case has been recorded in Ghana or anywhere in West Africa.
“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana. However, it is said prevention is always better than cure,” he stated.
As part of preventive measures, Akandoh advised the public to maintain proper hand hygiene by frequently washing hands with soap under running water or using hand sanitisers.
He also urged organisers of public events and mass gatherings to provide handwashing stations and hand sanitisers to reduce any possible health risks.
“During mass gatherings, please also practise good hand hygiene and event organisers should provide hand-washing stations and hand sanitisers,” he added.
The health minister further assured citizens that the government is taking all necessary steps to prevent any outbreak in the country.
“It is important to stress that presently the risk is low in Ghana. I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he said.

