Ghanaian man arrested in Canada over alleged sexual assault cases

APMediaGH
3 Views
3 Min Read
Samuel Opoku

A 30-year-old Ghanaian man identified as Samuel Opoku has been arrested in Canada over alleged sexual assault incidents reported in Toronto earlier this month.

According to reports by the New York Post, Opoku was arrested on May 12 and charged with two counts of sexual assault and indecent exposure in connection with two separate incidents.

Investigators said the first incident occurred on May 9 when a group of women was walking along a sidewalk in Toronto. Police alleged that the suspect approached the group, made sexual advances toward one of the women, grabbed her forearm, and sexually assaulted her before fleeing.

Authorities said a second incident occurred the following day when the suspect allegedly followed another woman into a commercial office building. He is accused of approaching the woman from behind, sexually assaulting her, and then escaping.

Ad imageAd image

Police stated that neither of the victims knew the suspect, and no physical injuries were reported.

Court records cited by Canadian media reportedly identified Opoku as the same individual linked to the widely publicised 2019 faeces attacks in Toronto that drew international attention.

The incidents allegedly involved five victims over four days, including women, a man, and a child, who were reportedly targeted with buckets containing human waste.

One of the attacks reportedly took place near the University of Toronto, where a woman was drenched with what investigators described as liquid human waste. Another incident allegedly occurred inside the university’s John P. Robarts Library, where two students studying were targeted.

Commenting on the attacks at the time, police Constable David Hopkinson reportedly described the incidents as “absolutely disgusting.”

“A young girl had a bucket of waste, faeces, dumped on her,” he reportedly said.

Following his 2019 arrest, Opoku was charged with multiple counts of assault with a weapon and mischief interfering with property. His lawyer reportedly informed the court that he was dealing with mental health challenges.

He was later granted bail after spending nearly three weeks in custody, although Canadian media reports indicated that the outcome of the earlier case remains unclear.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Leave a Comment